I really cannot believe it's been 3 months since Hudson's dreaded Hemangioma surgery!!
A hemangioma of infancy is a benign self-involuting tumor (swelling or growth) of endothelial cells, the cells that line blood vessels. It usually appears during the first weeks of life and resolves by age 10. In infancy, it is the most common tumor.
Hemangiomas are connected to the circulatory system and filled with blood. The appearance depends on location. If they are on the surface of the skin, they are reminiscent of a ripe strawberry (hence, they are sometimes referred to as "strawberry hemangiomas"
Hudson's "strawberry" appeared when he was about 3 weeks old. It was VERY VERY small..I actually thought he had scratched his forehead. SO, I clipped his TINY nails and didn't think much about it! A few days passed and I noticed that it was a little bigger...then weeks and even months went by and we watched it GROW! Hudson's pediatrician Dr. Michelle P identified it as a Hemangioma and explained all the details to us! At 5 months old we decided to go for a consultation at Dr. Shell's office in Memphis. At 6 months old Hudson had surgery at Lebonheur East in Memphis...Wonderful Hospital...Wonderful Doctor and Hudson was a Wonderful patient!
I am so glad that day (April 19th) has come and gone and we are STRAWBERRY free! We are so pleased with how well his forehead looks! The scar is getting better and better and we are so thankful for such an amazing surgeon, Dr Dan Shell. Hudson goes back to Dr Shell in late August for another follow up appointment! Once again...it's hard to believe it's already been 3 months.


























No comments:
Post a Comment